Much like the legend of the Negroni Sbagliato, Sarah Morrissey’s own spin on the Italian classic was born from a fortuitous mistake. While experimenting with Kalani coconut liqueur during service, she filled an order for a Negroni without rinsing the jigger, which allowed some of the coconut flavor to seep in. “Ba-zing!” recalls Morrissey. “It was delicious.” From there, she played around with the formula, ultimately calling on a quarter-ounce of coconut liqueur alongside a quarter-ounce of sweet vermouth to bolster the traditional Campari and gin base. In a nod to the original happy accident, the Donna Reed is served with a sidecar of Champagne.
- 1 ounce Campari
- 1 ounce gin, preferably Plymouth
- 1/4 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Carpano Antica
- 1/4 ounce coconut liqueur, preferably Kalani
- Champagne, to serve as a sidecar
Garnish: grapefruit twist
- Combine all ingredients, except for the Champagne, in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a grapefruit twist.
- Serve with a sidecar of Champagne.