Placing third in a recent Jungle Bird tasting, Fanny Chu’s take was considered more a Jungle Bird variation than a Jungle Bird. Chu’s use of Lemon Hart Blackpool spiced rum led the adjudicators to puzzle over the various dessert-like notes they found in the drink. But the judges couldn’t deny that the cocktail worked on its own terms and outshone most of the other drinks in the competition.
- 3/4 ounce Jamaican rum, preferably Doctor Bird
- 3/4 ounce spiced rum, preferably Lemon Hart Blackpool spiced rum
- 3/4 ounce Campari
- 1 1/2 ounce pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce rich demerara syrup (2:1, demerara sugar:water)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
Garnish: two fronds, pineapple wedge with a cherry
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a double rocks glass over cracked ice.
- Garnish with two fronds and pineapple wedge with a cherry.