“This drink premiered at my last shift at Prime Meats, a ‘70s pop up that was a tribute to Stan Jones and disco-era drinks,” bartender Garret Richard recalls. The inspiration to turn the Grasshopper into a swizzle came from many visits to LA’s famed Tiki-Ti lounge, where creamy drinks are often flash-blended and served over crushed ice. “I always found this practice makes dessert-style drinks more palatable and lighter.”
Garret Richard, Prime Meats | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 ounce Branca Menta
- 1/2 ounce white crème de cacao, preferably Marie Brizard
- 1/2 ounce dark crème de cacao, preferably Tempus Fugit
- 1/2 ounce Cognac, preferably Pierre Ferrand 1840
- 1 1/2 ounces half and half
- 1 dash McCormick Buco Pandan Extract
- 3 to 4 dashes five-spice bitters
Garnish: mint, grated nutmeg
- Flash blend the first six ingredients in a drink mixer with 8 ounces of crushed ice.
- Pour into a wine glass over crushed ice.
- Top with 3 or 4 dashes of bitters.
- Garnish with mint and grated nutmeg.