“When I worked at Dram, we had a Brancamenta chilling machine,” says New York bartender Jeremy Oertel. “One of our cocktail waitresses used to bring ice cream sandwiches in, and we’d drizzle it over top.” The Brancolada was born from the idea of a slushy, summery Fernet Brancamenta-infused dessert drink. A creamy melding of orange and pineapple juices, golden rum, coconut milk and cool Brancamenta, the Brancolada is a play on the traditional Piña Colada, and an all-season staple at Brooklyn cocktail bar Donna.
- 1 ounce Fernet Brancamenta
- 1 ounce Jamaican rum (Appleton Estate VX Reserve)
- 1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
- 1/4 ounce orange juice
- 1 ounce coconut cream (3 parts Coco Lopez : 1 part coconut milk)
Garnish: mint spring and orange slice
- Add all ingredients to a blender, and add ice (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups).
- Blend until smooth and pour into a glass.
- Garnish with a mint spring and an orange slice.
Start with less ice; add more as you blend until you've achieved your preferred texture.