Joaquín Simó gives meticulous attention to presentation and flavor in his rendition of the Mint Julep, which took third place in our recent blind tasting, and calls on Old Grand-Dad 114 Bourbon with a drizzle of Hamilton Jamaican Gold Rum for an aromatic finish.
- 2 ounce bourbon, preferably Old Grand-Dad 114
- 1/4 ounce rich demerara syrup (2:1, sugar:water)
- 1/4 ounce rum, preferably Hamilton Jamaican Gold
- 8 mint leaves
Garnish: 3 mint sprigs
- Using 8 mint leaves, coat the interior of a julep cup to release the oils.
- Add bourbon and syrup, and swizzle thoroughly.
- Add crushed ice to fill 2/3 of the julep cup.
- Swizzle briskly for 20 seconds.
- Add more ice and swizzle briskly for another 20 seconds.
- Add more crushed ice on top.
- Garnish with 3 mint sprigs and add straw directly next to mint.
- Drizzle rum over the top.