Chad Solomon plays on genever’s distinct botanical flavors by blending it with malted aquavit, pine liqueur and pine extract in the Pinetop Perker, a sort of Egg Sour by way of northern Europe. At the bar, the drink is finished with a spritz of housemade “Alpine Woodland Essence” built on aromas of cedar, fir and bergamot. Here, in lieu of that, he recommends expressing a lemon twist over the top of the drink to mask the egg white aroma.
Chad Solomon, Midnight Rambler | Dallax, TX
- 1 1/2 ounces genever, preferably Bols
- 1/2 ounce aquavit, preferably Solståndet
- 3/4 ounce Mineral Simple #4 (See Editor's Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon pine liqueur, preferably Zirbenz
- 1 teaspoon apple liqueur, preferably Berentzen
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 2 drops mineral saline (See Editor's Note)
Garnish: lemon twist, expressed and discarded, and dehydrated lemon peel
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and dry shake.
- Add ice and shake well.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or footed whiskey sour glass.
- Express lemon twist over top and discard.
- Garnish with dehydrated lemon peel.
Mineral Simple #4:
1 cup sugar
1 cup mineral water, preferably Crazy Water #4.
Dissolve sugar and mineral water.
Mineral Saline Solution:
1 tablespoon kosher salt
9 tablespoons mineral water, preferably Crazy Water #4
Dissolve salt with water.