In stirred drinks, sushi rice “softens the heat of the spirit and makes the flavors more cohesive,” according to Leanne Favre, who developed this cocktail for the Brooklyn restaurant Winona’s. Smoothing the rougher edges of Japanese whisky with an à la minute rice wash helps the spirit adhere to and amplify the drink’s other ingredients, aromatic rosé vermouth and Cappelletti aperitivo liqueur.
Rosé Colored Glasses
Leanne Favre | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 1/2 ounce Japanese whisky, preferably Toki
- 1 ounce Lustau Vermut Rosé
- 1/2 ounce Cappelletti
- 1 tablespoon uncooked sushi rice
Garnish: expressed orange twist, pansy
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing glass with ice.
- Stir until chilled and diluted.
- Fine-strain into a rocks glass with a large rock.
- Garnish with an expressed orange twist and a pansy.