Jonathan Lam’s funky, peaty rum-based riff on the Old-Fashioned, featuring banana syrup and root beer bitters named for the smoky, closed-door politics of yore.
- 1 ounce Smith & Cross Jamaica Rum
- 3/4 ounce El Dorado 12 yr Rum
- 1/4 ounce Laphroaig 10yr
- 1/4 ounce banana syrup (See Editor's Note)
- 1 dash root beer bitters
- In a mixing glass, stir all ingredients with ice until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass.
To make banana syrup, combine 2 cups of chopped bananas with 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Bring all ingredients to a boil and turn off heat. Transfer all contents into larger container and let rest for 2 days. Strain finished syrup through a cheese cloth. .