The Suburban is both a classic race and a classic cocktail. In ode to Zivo, the impressive New York-bred winner of this year’s Suburban stakes at Belmont Park, and his shot at the Breeders’ Cup Classic 2014, is this drink—a New York original and the only cocktail we’re aware of that combines whiskey, port and rum.
- 2 ounces whiskey, 77 Local Rye and Corn
- 3/4 ounces dark rum
- 3/4 ounces ruby port
- 1 dash orange bitters
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
Garnish: brandied cherry and an orange slice
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with a brandied cherry and an orange slice.