Third place in our blind tasting of 10 different Painkiller recipes went to Chris Coy, of the Inferno Room in Indianapolis, whose recipe similarly called on a split rum base of four expressions in equal half-ounce measures: Bounty Dark Rum and Bounty Spiced Rum from St. Lucia, pot-still Jamaican rum Worthy Park 109 and the Guyanese Hamilton Demerara rum. To that, he added three ounces of pineapple juice, two ounces of toasted coconut cream and one ounce of orange juice, all flash-blended and topped with an impressive arrangement of a pineapple fan, pineapple fronds, an orange wedge and an orchid. The coconut and rum harmonized well in almost Piña Colada–like fashion. As any Painkiller ought to be, Frizell dubbed it “a crowd-pleaser.”
Chris Coy | Indianapolis
- 3 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces coconut cocktail syrup, preferably Liquid Alchemist Toasted Coconut
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 1/2 ounce aged rum, preferably Bounty Dark Rum
- 1/2 ounce spiced rum, preferably Bounty Spiced Rum
- 1/2 ounce aged Jamaican pot-still rum, preferably Worthy Park 109
- 1/2 ounce Demerara rum, preferably Hamilton Demerara Rum
Garnish: grated nutmeg, pineapple fan, pineapple frond, orange wedge, orchid
- Flash-blend all ingredients with 1 cup pebble ice.
- Top with grated nutmeg.
- Garnish with pineapple fan, pineapple frond, orange wedge and and orchid.