A variation on the classic Southside, Daniel Miller’s Elf-inspired seasonal drink invites Strega to commingle with District-made Green Hat gin, lime and mint. The Italian liqueur brings a bounty of festive botanicals that complement the mint simple syrup for a cooling finish reminiscent of a candy cane.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Green Hat
- 1 ounce mint syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce lime
- 1/4 ounce Strega
- 1/4 ounce dry Curaçao
Garnish: mint sprig
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Double strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with a mint sprig.
225 grams raw sugar
225 grams boiling water
5 grams fresh mint leaves
1 ounce peppermint extract.
In a saucepan, combine the first two ingredients until sugar is fully dissolved. While that cools, blanch the mint leaves in boiling water then immediately transfer to an ice bath. Combine the cooled leaves and cooled syrup in a blender and blend to combine. Add the peppermint extract then strain and refrigerate.