From the name, it can be assumed this drink by late-1800s bartender Harry Johnson belongs in the canon of classic hair-of-the-dog hangover remedies. A potent blend of Scotch and absinthe, the Morning Glory Fizz’s rough edges are smoothed over with silky egg white and a splash of soda to quell the pangs of a hangover headache. An orange garnish brightens the boozy aroma and calls one to face the day with renewed vigor.
- 2 ounces Scotch (preferably blended)
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- 1 egg white
- 3-4 dashes absinthe
- soda, to top
Garnish: orange peel or orange wheel.
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake without ice.
- Add ice and shake until well-chilled, and top up with soda.
- Garnish with an orange peel or orange wheel.