The first time I visited Andalusia was in 1998 during a brutally hot August. I can’t remember if I drank Rebujitos—more or less the official summer drink of Andalusia—in Sevilla, but it was summer and the drink combines Sprite and alcohol, so I can’t imagine turning it down. I’ve certainly had my fair share since. In its original form, it’s hard not to fall in love with it, especially when the levante blows. But Evan Zimmerman’s fresh take—once a staple on his cocktail list at Portland’s now-shuttered Woodsman Tavern—is a drier, slightly more refined, but still effortless.
- 2 mint leaves
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup (1:1 sugar:water)
- 2 ounces fino sherry
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- Soda water, to top
Garnish: lemon and lime wheels, mint sprig
- Add the mint and simple syrup to a mixing glass and lightly muddle.
- Add the sherry and lemon and lime juices.
- Shake and strain into a tall Collins glass.
- Top with soda water and garnish with the lime and lemon wheels and sprig of mint.