Toby Maloney’s citrus-driven cocktail, formerly found on the menu of the “vaguely Latin” Lorenzo’s in Bushwick, Brooklyn, is layered with bourbon and and housemade cinnamon syrup, which provides the heat and spice necessary for a cocktail both refreshing and fortifying.
- 2 ounces bourbon, preferably Heaven Hill
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce cinnamon syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce grapefruit juice
Garnish: Angostura bitters and grapefruit peel
- Combine all ingredients in shaker over ice and shake.
- Strain into rocks glass over large draft cube.
- Top with angostura bitters; express grapefruit peel over drink and garnish.
75 grams cinnamon
4 1/4 cups water
4 1/14 cups sugar
Toast cinnamon briefly, without burning. Bring water and cinnamon to a boil and turn down heat. Simmer 15 minutes. Strain and pour liquid into Vita-Mix or blender. Add sugar and blend until smooth.