Consider this a neo-tiki Negroni, with blackstrap rum and Ferrari (Fernet mixed with Campari) taking the place of traditional gin and Campari. Part of the Autostrada menu at Fox Liquor Bar, this drink was inspired by Giuseppe Gonzalez‘s revamp of the Jungle Bird. The blackstrap rum gives it a rich, molasses-y spice, while the Ferrari offers herbal bitterness.
- 3 drops saline solution (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce Cocchi di Torino
- 1 ounce Ferrari (1:1, Fernet-Branca:Campari)
- 1 ounce blackstrap rum, preferably Cruzan
Garnish: orange twist
- In a mixing glass, combine the saline, Cocchi, Ferrari and rum. Add one large cube of ice and stir until very cold.
- Strain into a rocks glass over large cube of ice. Garnish with orange twist and serve.
Add 1/2 ounce kosher salt to 2 ounces of water and stir until dissolved.