Stacey Swenson, head bartender at New York’s Dante, pulls from the family of Italian red bitters in her Canelli Sour. Building on a base of Contratto Bitter and tequila, plus grapefruit and lemon juices, Swenson dresses the summer-ready flavors for fall in this frothy sour.
Stacey Swenson, Dante | New York City
- 1 ounce Contratto Bitter
- 1 ounce tequila
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce vanilla syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 egg white
- 3 drops 18.21 Tart Cherry & Saffron Bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker and dry shake.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
1 vanilla bean
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
Split the vanilla bean in half, lengthwise, and combine it with the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Warm over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and set aside to cool. Remove the vanilla bean and store, refrigerated.