When asked what he looks forward to drinking on Thanksgiving, Portland’s Jeffrey Morgenthaler turns to one classic that’s so “overwhelmingly popular” that it’s on repeat at Clyde Common: a tequila- and sherry-spiked eggnog that tastes like the holiday season and drinks like dessert.
Yield: 1 gallon
- 12 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 12 ounces añejo tequila
- 15 ounces amontillado sherry
- 36 ounces whole milk
- 24 ounces heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons freshly-grated nutmeg
- In a blender or stand mixer on low speed, beat eggs until smooth.
- Slowly add nutmeg, and sugar until incorporated and dissolved.
- Slowly add sherry, tequila, milk and cream.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve in small chilled cups.
- Dust with fresh nutmeg before serving.