Jake Powell’s take on the modern classic simply adds mole bitters to the equation, a move that the drink’s creator, Phil Ward, found to be a successful one. “It’s a good direction to go in,” noted Ward at a blind tasting of Oaxaca Old-Fashioneds, in which Powell’s recipe was among the top vote-getters.
- 1 1/2 ounces reposado tequila, preferably Tequila Ocho
- 1/2 ounce mezcal, preferably Del Maguey Chichicapa
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 dash mole bitters
Garnish: orange twist
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Express an orange twist over the drink, then use to garnish.