Lazy Bird’s beverage director, Lee Zaremba, swaps out a traditional maraschino with a domestic one from Leopold Brothers, made without cherry pits. While this removes its usual almond flavor, grapefruit juice and syrup add a different type of vibrancy to the drink.
Lazy Bird’s Hemingway Daiquiri
Lee Zaremba, Lazy Bird | Chicago
- 2 ounces white rum
- 3/4 ounces grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce lime
- 1/4 ounce maraschino, preferably Leopold Bros.
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1 bar spoon strawberry vinegar
Garnish: fermented strawberry, lime wheel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Double strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with lime wheel and fermented strawberry.
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
Peels from 1 grapefruit
Add all to a pot on medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Allow grapefruit peels to steep in syrup overnight in the refrigerator then strain.