Though unorthodox, Michael McIlroy’s Salt & Pepper Martini at Temple Bar has a little something for everyone. Its celery bitters, manzanilla sherry and saline solution elegantly address the common request for an “extra dirty” Martini, while Espelette pepper liqueur and Sweety Drop peppers answer the crowd-pleasing call for something spicy. As the Martini craze shows no signs of slowing down, the Salt & Pepper Martini embodies the way in which the classic provides a template that can be rewritten again and again.
- 2 ounces London dry gin
- 1/2 ounce manzanilla sherry
- 1/2 ounce blanc vermouth
- 1/4 ounce Giffard Piment d’Espelette
- 8 dashes celery bitters
- a few drops saline solution
Garnish: Sweety Drop pepper
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass and stir to combine.
- Strain into a coupe.
- Garnish with a Sweety Drop pepper.
4 parts water
1 part salt
Combine all ingredients in a small sealable container and shake until salt has dissolved.