“Creating a good drink that sits in that ‘fruity, but not too sweet’ pocket is like writing a good pop song if you’re a well-respected artist” explain Honeycut’s Dave Fernie and Mary Bartlett. It’s a matter of creating broad appeal while still pushing conventional boundaries. The LA-based duo’s Sidereal does exactly that, with a tropical strawberry, Thai basil and coconut cream base that’s shaken with three types of rum.
Dave Fernie and Mary Bartlett, Honeycut | Los Angeles
- 1 ounce rum, preferably Flor de Cana 7 year
- 1/2 ounce rum, preferably Clemente Bleue
- 1/2 ounce rum, preferably Plantation 3 Star
- 1/2 ounce sherry, preferably Lustau East India Solera
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1 1/2 ounces strawberry, Thai basil and coconut cream base (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: halved strawberry
- Add all ingredients to a mixing tin and shake with pebble ice.
- Pour the drink into a pilsner glass and top with more pebbled ice.
- Garnish with a halved strawberry.
Strawberry, Thai Basil and Coconut Cream Base:
2 parts strawberry puree
2 parts Thai basil syrup (1 small bunch Thai basil leaves, steeped in hot 1:1 simple syrup)
1 part Coco Lopez
Blend all ingredients to combine.