“There are so many Manhattan variations, but I hadn’t seen one done with Japanese whisky yet,” says bartender Brad Farran. With this blueprint in mind, Farran substituted American whiskey with the subtly complex Yamazaki, while adding layers to the sweet vermouth via the addition of spicy Cardamaro and saffron-infused Strega. Farran named his cocktail in reference to the third installment of the Fast and the Furious movies, which he thinks, “is pretty hilarious.”
Brad Farran | Raleigh, North Carolina
- 2 ounces Japanese whisky, preferably Yamazaki 12 Year
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
- 1/2 ounce Cardamaro
- 1 teaspoon Strega
Garnish: lemon peel
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass (or a Nick & Nora if you're fancy).
- Garnish with a lemon peel.