“The Unlikely Negroni is exactly that: a preposterous combination of flavors that somehow works,” says Naren Young, of New York’s Dante. The drink sees Campari combined with pineapple drinking vinegar, oil, coconut and banana liqueurs and a hit of housemade spicy Thai chile tincture, for a riff on the Italian classic by way of Thailand.
- 1 ounce blanco tequila, preferably Cabeza
- 3/4 ounce Campari
- 3/4 ounce Cocchi Torino
- 1/4 ounce coconut liqueur, preferably Kalani
- 1/4 ounce banana liqueur, preferably Giffard
- 1 barspoon pineapple drinking vinegar, preferably Som
- 1 dropper Thai chile tincture (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: banana chip topped with 2 drops of sesame oil
- Combine all ingredients in mixing glass over ice and stir.
- Strain into silver coupe.
- Garnish with banana chip.
Thai chile tincture
3 dried Thai chiles
8 ounces vodka
Infuse chiles into vodka for 3 days, shaking occasionally. Strain into a dropper.