Beaux Kerin’s variation on Detroit’s beloved Hummer ice cream cocktail substitutes black strap rum that’s been milk-washed. The rum is mixed with half and half, frozen and then thawed through a filter. It’s then kicked up with the addition of Averna.
- 1 1/2 ounces milk-washed Cruzan Black Strap rum (See Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce Averna
- 1/2 ounce St. George NOLA coffee liqueur
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
Milk-Washed Cruzan Black Strap Rum
In a container, combine Cruzan Blackstrap rum with half and half in a proportion of 10:1. Add to the freezer until frozen, about 4 hours. Place the mixture in a Superbag filter over a large plastic container and allow the mixture to thaw. Once melted, the half and half-infused rum will have passed through the bag, leaving the milk solids behind.