The Sombrero—a mix of the beloved Allen’s Coffee Flavored Brandy and milk—is Maine’s unofficial cocktail. The Allen’s Flip is Portland bartender Andrew Volk’s attempt to gussy up the standard (which is also known by the name Fat Ass in a Glass, among many others). Using the classic flip template, Volk bumped up the ABV with brandy and brings it all together with the avant-garde (it’s all relative in Maine) addition of coffee bitters.
Andrew Volk, Portland Hunt + Alpine Club | Portland, ME
- 1 1/2 ounces Allen's Coffee Flavored Brandy
- 1/2 ounce brandy
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup, (1:1, sugar:water)
- 1 egg
Garnish: coffee bitters
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake without ice.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Double strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with coffee bitters.