Created in 2005 to celebrate the Broadway show Sweet Charity, Dale DeGroff’s Big Spender nods to the musical’s hit song and appropriately calls for an extravagant rosé Champagne topper (specifically, Cristal). “We did the luxury version for the opening, but decided that beyond the opening we might need to lower the cost of sales a bit,” jokes DeGroff.
- 1 ounce tequila, preferably Gran Centenario
- 1 ounce Liqueur Créole
- 1 ounce blood orange juice
- rosé Champagne , to top, preferably Cristal
Garnish: flamed orange peel, orange horse’s neck
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a flute.
- Top with rosé Champagne.
- Garnish with a flamed orange peel and orange horse's neck garnish.