The house Daiquiri at Jeff “Beachbum” Berry‘s Latitude 29 took more than a year to perfect. In an effort to cut down on dilution, Berry omits simple syrup, preferring instead to dissolve a mixture of sugars directly into fresh lime juice. As for his choice of rum, he opts for either Bacardi 1909 Superior Limited Edition (89 proof) or Caña Brava (86 proof), which he says are most similar to the rum—Bacardi Carta Blanca—that would have formed the base of the Daiquiri before Prohibition.
- 2 level teaspoons sugar blend (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces white rum, preferably Caña Brava or Bacardi 1909 Superior Limited Edition
Garnish: lime wheel
- Combine the sugar blend and lime juice in a mixing tin.
- Stir until the sugar has fully dissolved into the lime juice.
- Add the rum to the sugar and lime mixture, along with large cubes of ice, cracked with a bar spoon.
- Quickly shake and strain the drink into a coupe.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.
To make the sugar blend, combine 4 parts organic white cane sugar to 1 part turbinado or demerara sugar.