A play on the Old Pal, a bracing mix of rye whiskey, Campari and dry vermouth, the Pen Pal is the original’s mellowed-out, but beefed-up cousin. This drink switches out the bitter twang of Campari for the citrus-pop of Aperol, while letting the rye whiskey take the lead with a spicy, whiskey-forward resolve.
- 1 1/2 ounces rye (preferably Michter's)
- 3/4 ounce dry vermouth (preferably Dolin dry)
- 3/4 ounce Aperol
Garnish: lemon peel
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon peel.