Jacob Grier, author of Cocktails on Tap, loves this drink from 320 Main in Seal Beach, CA, for its use of the bitter-on-bitter formula in which IPA is paired with Cynar amaro. The wallop of this combination is rounded out by sweet honey syrup and apple brandy, resulting in an autumn-perfect beer cocktail.
- 1 ounce Cynar
- 3/4 ounce apple brandy
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce honey syrup (2:1, honey:water)
- 2 ounces IPA
Garnish: grapefruit peel
- Combine the Cynar, brandy, lemon juice, simple syrup, and 1 ounce of the IPA in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake first without ice to combine. Then add ice and shake again until cold.
- Strain the drink into an ice-filled rocks glass.
- Top with the remaining IPA and garnish with a grapefruit peel.