Childhood memories of trains and searching for arrowheads in Oklahoma and Texas bring to mind bitter flavors and mezcal for Damon Boelte. Ever a lover of combining beer with bitters, Boelte tops this “mezcal Negroni” with IPA for a smoky and bitter, yet refreshing long drink. Part of the opening menu at Boelte’s Grand Army Bar in Brooklyn, the drink is named for a train that used to run from Wisconsin to Minnesota in the 1970s.
- 1/2 ounce mezcal (preferably Del Maguey Vida)
- 1/2 ounce Campari
- 1 ounce Carpano Antica vermouth
- 3 - 4 ounces Other Half IPA
Garnish: grapefruit slices
- Add Campari, mezcal and Carpano Antica to a high ball glass.
- Add ice, and top with IPA.
- Garnish with grapefruit slices.