Though winter weather is fleeting in New Orleans, French 75 Bar‘s Chris Hannah created a near-perfect winter foil with his whiskey-based spice bomb, the Winter Waltz. Dark and bittersweet Averna amaro combines with the bracing spice of rye whiskey and warm cinnamon and nutmeg aromas of St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram for a cocktail of modern classic proportions.
- 2 ounces rye
- 1/2 ounce Averna
- 1/4 ounce St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- 2 dashes Dale DeGroff's Allspice Bitters
Garnish: star anise
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a star anise.
This can be easily batched for a crowd. Simply multiply the recipe by the number of servings (using only one dash of bitters per serving) and measure into a pitcher. When serving, measure out 2 1/2 ounces per drink into a cocktail shaker, add ice and shake (two or three at a time) and strain into individual glasses.