A bittersweet take on the colonial flip, the Elephant Flip—created by longtime bartender Christina Rando—builds on a base of Ramazzotti, Jamaican rum and bourbon, adds flavors of chocolate and pomegranate and tops it all with bitter IPA. “It’s rich, ‘dessert-y’ and filling, but still balanced,” says Franklin Mortgage & Investment Co.’s Sara Justice. “It’s really the best of both worlds.”
- 1 ounce amaro, preferably Ramazotti
- 1/2 ounce Jamaican rum, preferably Smith & Cross
- 1/2 ounce bourbon, preferably Buffalo Trace
- 1/2 ounce demerara syrup (2:1, demerara sugar:water)
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 dash angostura bitters
- 6 drops mole bitters, preferably Bitterman's
- pinch salt
- 1 whole egg
- IPA, to top
Garnish: aromatic bitters, such as Bitter Truth
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and dry shake.
- Fill the cocktail shaker with ice and shake again.
- Strain into a fizz glass and top with IPA.
- Garnish with a line of aromatic bitters, such as Bitter Truth.