“A smoky drink is a pretty common request these days,” says Chad Michael George, formerly of Williams & Graham and now heading up Denver’s forthcoming The Way Back. This highball is a “more laid-back” response that sees mezcal’s bite softened with agave and blackberry liqueur, then topped with a splash of dry cider for a little lift.
- 1 1/2 ounces mezcal, preferably Alipus Santa Ana Del Rio
- 1/4 ounce Leopold Bros Blackberry Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce agave syrup
- dry cider, to top
Garnish: lime wheel
- Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass and stir with ice.
- Strain into a collins glass filled with ice.
- Top with dry cider and garnish with a lime wheel.