Conceived for the menu at Banzarbar in 2018, Seven Years Cycle was built outward from one central ingredient: Clear Creek cranberry liqueur. Natasha Bermudez set out to make a savory cocktail, pairing the cranberry with rosemary, before taking a different tack by calling on the citrus-forward Edinburgh Christmas Gin, which is also infused with frankincense and myrrh. Ancho Reyes chile liqueur adds a smoky note to the shaken cocktail, while the finishing touch comes by way of half a teaspoon of Vicario’s Monk’s Secret liqueur, an herbal, vegetal elixir that, in Bermudez’s words, “is the one thing that made the drink finally work.”
- 1 1/4 ounce oloroso sherry, preferably Lustau Oloroso Sherry
- 1 ounce gin, preferably Edinburgh Christmas Gin
- 3/4 ounce cranberry liqueur, preferably Clear Creek
- 1/4 ounce Ancho Reyes
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce sugar cane syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vicario’s Monk’s Secret liqueur
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.