“This drink was truly a labor of love,” says New York bartender Aaron Polsky. The Amaris is named for a woman he wanted to win back and combines her favorite ingredients: bittersweet Gran Classico and Fernet Branca. “I struggled with it, and finally it came together when I added Strega,” he says. Built entirely from herbal liqueurs, it’s a super-layered drink with no reference-point within a specific cocktail family. “I look at this cocktail as an aggressive combination: It’s about finding harmony within oppression,” he says.
- 1/2 ounce Fernet Branca
- 1/2 ounce Strega
- 1/2 ounce Gran Classico
- 1/2 ounce dry vermouth (preferably Dolin)
- 12 drops Bittermens Burlesque Bitters
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled rocks glass.