A cool and smoky riff on a Stinger, Trick Dog’s Polar Bear cocktail is simple, yet highly effective. Instead of gin, there is toasty mezcal mixed with a measure of sweet white vermouth and a splash of crème de menthe layered with the herbal aromatics of angelica all shaken up Stinger-style. Cool, white, warming and stealthy—just like a polar bear.
- 1 1/2 ounces mezcal (preferably Pierde Almas Puritita)
- 3/4 ounce bianco vermouth (preferably Dolin Blanc)
- 1/2 ounce crème de menthe (preferably Tempus Fugit)
- 6 drops angelica root tincture
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled Nick and Nora glass or coupe.
To make angelica tincture, fill a mason jar with angelica root and then top with neutral over-proof spirit (Everclear or high-proof vodka will do the trick). Cap the jar and let sit for 3 days. Strain through a cheese-cloth and bottle into dropper or dasher bottles for easy use.