The base ingredient in Will Elliott’s complex spritz is the idiosyncratic saffron-infused Strega, a brilliant-yellow bitter liqueur whose name means “witch” in Italian. Named for the memory of Giuseppe Alberti, who founded the Strega distillery in 1860 in Benevento, Italy, this herbal, savory spritz boldly carries his name forth.
Will Elliott, Maison Premiere | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 ounce Strega
- 1/2 ounce Cognac
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Cappelletti Aperitivo
- 3 dashes orange bitters, preferably Angostura
- sparkling wine to top
Garnish: orange twist
- Add the Strega, Cognac, Cappelletti Aperitivo, lemon juice, and bitters to a wine glass.
- Add cracked ice, and stir until chilled.
- Top with sparkling wine and add the garnish.